Reunion Weekend 2017 | June 2-4, 2017
About Reunion Weekend
Now entering its 5th year, Hampden-Sydney's reunion program offers an opportunity to retake the Hill for a full weekend of fun with your classmates, professors, and the Hampden-Sydney community. Spouses and children are also invited to join us for this family-friendly weekend on the Hill. Lodging is available in campus dormitories prepared especially for you and your classmates and rooms are also reserved at local hotels. A variety of registration packages will be offered. Special events throughout the weekend, including a golf tournament on Friday, offer the opportunity to relax with friends, reconnect with faculty, and revisit the campus you once called home. If you would like to serve on the Reunion Committee for your class or have questions about the weekend, please contact the Office of Alumni Relations.
Contact the Alumni Office at 434-223-6776 or firstname.lastname@example.org
The weekend of June 2-4, the Alumni Association will celebrate the Classes of 2012, 2007, 2002, 1997, 1992, 1987, 1982, 1977, 1972, 1967
and the Patrick Henry Society, including all alumni who have celebrated their 50th reunion.
Some highlights from last year's reunion include:
- Howard Eckstein '90 and his band The New Outliers - with special guest Dr. Ken Townsend - brought down the (White)House on Friday night!
- President-elect Dr. Larry Stimpert was able to spend time with each class and appeared at multiple events throughout the weekend. He very much appreciated the warm welcome from H-SC alumni!
- During Saturday morning's Alumni Celebration, the Class of 1981 announced their Reunion gift to the College: the creation and full endowment of the David P. Bruce '84 memorial scholarship. This fund was created by the Class of 1981 in memory of David, a member of the Hampden-Sydney Volunteer Fire Department who lost his life battling a blaze on graduation weekend in 1981. The class has directed that the fund be used as scholarship assistance for a student member of the HSVFD.
- The Class of 1966 made a significant legacy gift in honor of their 50th reunion, totaling $3,332,648.77! Thanks to the Class of 1966 for leading the way in what was a truly remarkable reunion giving effort. This year's reunion class gifts totaled $4,000,000 in gifts to H-SC.
- Beautiful works of art were created during the Wine & Design class on Saturday as each participant created their own masterpiece of the H-SC Bell Tower.
- Faculty members, including Dr. Herb Sipe, Dr. Bill Porterfield, and Dr. Mike McDermott taught classes or highlighted academic programs that brought alumni "back to class". Alumni had the chance to learn about wartime tales of H-SC, toxic chemicals, and/or tour the College's Observatory.
- While Saturday night's Band at The Bell Tower had to be relocated to Gammon Gymnasium due to severe weather, it provided a chance to relive the days when concerts there were a regular feature of student life and alumni of all ages danced the night away. Thanks to everyone for their patience, understanding, and continued enthusiasm as the weather required us to implement our reunion rain plans for the first time this year!
- Two teams of alumni completed Dr. Marc Hight's Escape Room, and one team bested the previous high scores set by teams of students, faculty and staff. While no one has yet to successfully "escape" the room, Dr. Hight commented that "Both alumni teams, however, did quite well, solving most of the puzzles and demonstrating the quality of a good Hampden-Sydney education." The bar has been raised, and our hats are off to those of you who rose to the challenge!
- Two new events added to the reunion lineup—Putt-Putt at the Library and the After Hours Social at Bortz Library—were exceptionally well received.
- Most importantly, friendships were rekindled over class dinners, in hospitality rooms, and across many other locations on campus where friends and family gathered.